The New CD ☊
In April 2013, Jay Beckenstein and the members of Spyro Gyra entered a recording studio in Rhinebeck, NY, a small town in the Hudson Valley not too far from Woodstock. Beckenstein and his bandmates set out to do something that they had never done before in their nearly forty year history – improvise with each other over three days and in the process write and record an entire new album.
“As I thought about doing another record, I asked myself, what is it that makes Spyro Gyra special?” Beckenstein explains, “I decided that it was the fact that we have been together so long that the communication between us has become almost mystical. Our ability to improvise on the fly has become so strong because we have played together so much. It was time to go into the studio with very little planned and see what might come out of it.”
Beckenstein concedes, “It was a bit of a gamble but we’re lucky to have a loyal fan base who are probably going to be interested in what we’re doing. I was also fairly confident that whatever came out of it would be pretty close to the way we have approached our live shows for years.”
- March 12, 2016 – Durban, S.A. – Int. Jazz Extravaganza 2016
- March 19, 2016 – Cape Coral, FL – Sounds Of Blues and Jazz
- March 25, 2016 – Austin, TX – One World Theater
- March 26, 2016 – The Woodlands, TX – Dosey Doe
- April 8, 2016 – Mooresviille, NC – Waterfront Jazz Festival
- April 15, 2016 – Pittsburgh, PA – Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild
The Latest News
Don’t miss the new (live) songs that we have on our media page.
Live at Java Jazz Festival 2013
The Deep End Live